Below is all you need to know about preparing user data for import to 360Alumni. If you want to create one or a few new user records manually, see our KB article, "Adding New Records".
How to Upload User Data Records
- Download the User Records Template to get started.
- Populate the rows with data for each of the required fields, and any additional fields you would like imported, making sure to follow the set column structure.
- Securely email the data file to support@360Alumni.com
- We will review the file and import it. If there are rows with invalid data or duplicate users, these records will be rejected and returned to you as a CSV file for you to review and update.
- You can send us the corrected data for a follow-up import task.
What Causes a Record to be Rejected?
Below are some of the errors you may find if any of your records are skipped during the import. Use this as a quality check before sending us data to ensure a successful import:
- Invalid Email: check for leading or trailing spaces, missing "@" sign, missing ".com"
- Duplicate email in CSV: there's another record in the file you sent us that had the same email address. We do not import duplicate email addresses.
- First Name is empty: you must have a first and last name (at a minimum) to create a new user record.
- Invalid Facebook Link: Link to user's profile must be complete, including https://www.facebook.com/
- Invalid, Home, Mobile or Work Phone: Must be a complete phone number.
- User (UserID: XXXX) already exists: The email was found in another record in our system - either for your site or in very rare situations, another client's site.
User Record Field Descriptions
- Record ID: This is a unique identifier associated with each user record. Usually this ID is associated with an institution's 3rd party CRM tool. Storing the unique ID with users in the 360Alumni database empowers you to share information across your data sources/tools.
- Social Class Year: This field captures one, four-digit year value. You can can customize the name of this field for display across the community.
- Preferred Phone: This should be the text value 'mobile', 'work', or 'home'.
- Association Fields: These are fields used to capture the characteristic(s) most important to you, or your users, in identifying themselves within your community. For example, Higher ed will use these fields to capture degree, area of study and graduation year (Bachelors Degree, Finance, 2003). High schools and non profits use these fields to capture member type. For example, Alumni, Student, Staff, Parent, Volunteer, etc.
Association 1 is a required for each user to complete within their profile.
Association 2 is an optional field and used in conjunction with association field 1. - Association Fields (columns AN-AV). Association field 1 is required. Association Field 2 is optional, and is a dependent field.Using the above higher ed example: Association field 1 would be Degree. Association field 2 would be focus. As a user I would select 'bachelors degree' , 'finance', and '2003'. If you have a second data value that you would like to capture (that is related to association field 1), you could utilize the association field2.
- Tags: Tags are an optional tool used within the user profile. Tags allow users to define themselves using a series of characteristics. As the admin, you can create the title for the "tag" selection. Then create a list of characteristics, a 'tag bank', that the user can then select from. The user can select multiple characteristics. You can create an unlimited amount of tags. We can import these as comma separated values.
- Many 360Alumni clients use tags to collect groups, associations, or organizations that the users belong to (or were a member of in the past).
- Custom Fields: Administrators can create as many custom fields as desired. These fields create new options in the user profile to collect information. Custom fields can be free form text or drop down, multi-selection style values on the profile page. Custom fields can also be labeled as 'admin only' whereby only admins can view this information on the user.
What 360Alumni Does With Your User Record File
- Before importing your user records to your community, the 360Alumni Data team will scrub the file.
- We run your records through an email validation tool and provide you a list of invalid email addresses. To protect our reputation as a trusted sender, we do not import invalid email addresses.
- We perform a general scrub which includes normalizing data (for fields such as state and programs participated in) and fixing formatting issues. Common formatting issues include removing leading and trailing characters, removing special characters, removing obvious duplicates, and correcting phone number and date formats.
- We will run all addresses through Google Maps API to obtain geo coordinates for your users so they can be represented on the map.
- Once the scrub has been done, your records will be imported. The process generally takes 4-5 business days.
Note: There are additional fields (not included within the import template) that we can import and associate to your user records such as education, skills, industry, languages, and subscription preferences. These updates are applied after the import and can be sent as an excel or CSV file.
Planning to Build a Strong Alumni Community: